Links re: the medical use of essential oils and the recent explosion of people (mostly “natural mamas”) selling them via multi-level marketing (MLM) aka network marketing (Young Living Essential Oils and doTERRA).
7/18/14: Young Living Farms Wacky Somolian Adventures from UtahStories.com
How can essential oils be a scam, if so many people have testimonials of their miraculous benefits? Enlightening links from Wikipedia:
- Aromatherapy: Sniffing Essential Oils (podcast and transcript)
- Essential oils: A perfect example of alternative medicine exaggeration
- Essential Oil Claims – The Dangers Keep On Coming
Info about D. Gary Young, founder of Young Living Essential Oils.
1980’s flashback! Gary in the news:
- Prager M, Hansen T. Police arrest “doctor.” Spokane Spokesman-Review March 9, 1983
- Hansen T. Man arrested on medical charge. Spokane Spokesman-Review March 9, 1983.
- Prager M. Arrest result of attempt to police all professions. Spokane Spokesman-Review March 10, 1983.
- Hurst J. ‘Patient’ submits blood (from cat), is given diagnosis. Los Angeles Times, Oct 23, 1987.
A Critical Look at Gary Young, Young Living Essential Oils, and Raindrop Therapy [Note: This was originally published on Quackwatch but from what I can gather, Young Living threatened a lawsuit so it was taken down. It has been republished on a doTERRA distributor’s website, they are Young Living’s competition.]
The Missing Link: A lecture by D. Gary Young – Recorded in 1988, still used as training material by Young Living distributors all over the internet.
- The Missing Link Transcript
- The Missing Link Audio
- A critique of The Missing Link: The REAL Story of Gary Young and Young Living Essential Oils Eva Briggs, M.D. argues this lecture demonstrates D. Gary Young’s complete lack of knowledge of basic biology.
- Essential oils. Scam? pseudoscience? Question posted in 04/2014 on theboard.byu.edu
- Can “essential oils” treat or even cure the flu? Question posted in 10/2013 on Reddit
- Essential Oils, Update A blog post from 07/2008 about essential oils, with interesting comments.
- NYU Langone Medical Center: Aromatherapy
- Aromatherapy: Does It Pass the Smell Test? Paul DesOrmeaux for the Bay Area Skeptics
- What’s That I Smell? The Claims of Aromatherapy Lynn McCutcheon in Skeptical Inquirer
- Why Are All the Articles that Suggest Ingesting Essential Oils is Safe Written by Young Living Sales Reps? HubPage by Lee Tea
- Multi-Level Marketing – Why it IS a Scam, 99.9999% of the time Consumer Fraud Reporting website